2021 Georgetown Advanced eDiscovery Institute
Oct 5 2021
Friday, November 19, 2021
Alison Grounds, a partner and managing director of Troutman Pepper eMerge, will be speaking at the 2021 Advanced eDiscovery Institute presented by Georgetown Law from November 18 – 19, 2021. Alison will be a panelist on the following sessions:
Session A: ESI Storage Matters: Single-Instance Storage and the Demise of the Custodian?
November 19 | 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. ET
- The days are numbered for parties to define data sources for eDiscovery through the long-established standard of a “custodian.” Enterprises are shifting to M365 and other collaborative platforms that store data up to the cloud (instead of in employee email boxes), effectively de-duplicating at the far left of the Information Lifecycle.
- How should parties address a world where links replace attachments? What is possible and what is reasonable?
- Workflows built around custodial identification and negotiation may need to adapt in order to remain relevant. These speakers can show you how they have been able to do it efficiently.
The Ethics of the Three Rs: Remote Work, Remote Collection and Remote Review
November 19 | 1:15 – 2:15 p.m. ET
- Competence is the first Rule of Professional Conduct. Staying abreast of changes in technology as the comment to Model Rule 1.1 commands is a challenge in the remote, or even hybrid, world we now live in.
- Organizations – including law firms – are promoting flexible workforces. Advanced technologies are being promoted to keep all workers connected and engaged. The supervisory rules (M.R. 5.1 and 5.3) take on greater urgency in the “new normal.”
- Confidentiality (M.R. 1.6) is the crown jewel of the legal profession. A decentralized workforce presents new risks to a lawyer’s obligation to prevent the inadvertent or unauthorized disclosure of client information.
- Against the backdrop of these and other applicable Rules of Professional Conduct, this session will address practical steps you need to take to ensure company and client data is secure wherever employees are working, and however collection and review are managed.